Richard J Angell, President NMNLA
Great Lakes Landscape Supply, Northern MI Rep
I can’t believe that it has been one full year since we had our first get together regarding the start of the Northern Michigan Chapter of the MNLA. Time flies when we are having fun! I will be doing a short recap of what we accomplished in 2023 and what lies ahead for the successes in 2024. But first, I would like to thank the current Board of Directors for all of their support during this first year of trying to determine what our members needed to make their businesses more successful, and to find new members that are in great need of the important things that the Chapter can bring to their organizations. The drive and determination of the group is amazing. Looking to the future, I think it is important to consider the positive input this Chapter will have on developing the support and services needed to make their businesses more prosperous.
But first, why be a member of the Chapter? I believe that a few ways of realizing the value of membership are through enhancing your network and having greater access to an informed industry by exchanging ideas on new research, products for professional development, and enhanced education. We have been working to improve our Chapter experience by having monthly Meet and Greets. And through membership in this Federated Chapter of the Michigan Nursery and Landscape Association, NMNLA Members have full access to online educational offerings and materials that provide additional value for businesses and their employees. If you have attended a Chapter event or an educational session, you are familiar with the benefits of networking with peers and business partners. I encourage you to expand your influence; invest in your teams by encouraging their skills development, by helping to champion for self-renewal of your staff, and by finding ways to overcome the hurdles and fill in the gaps to be more effective, productive and motivated.
A recap of the year so far and moving into the future of NMNLA...
• October 2022: We had a meeting at the The Botanic Gardens at Historic Barns Park to see if there was enough interest in forming a Northern Chapter of the MNLA. Thirty-eight people attended and everyone was excited about the formation of the Chapter. At that meeting we set in motion the Board of Directors for the Chapter.
• December 2022: We had our first Meet and Greet in Elk Rapids for an afternoon of networking and finding out what the members would like to see from the Chapter.
• January 2023: We had a Reception & First Annual Meeting at the Great Lakes Trade Expo (GLTE) in Grand Rapids along with the SEMNLA Chapter, which was a great time for interaction, networking, and meeting new friends.
• March 2023: We announced and launched the NMNLA website (www.NMNLA.org) to all members.
• July 2023: This was our big three-day event held at the The Botanic Gardens at Historic Barns Park called the Great Lakes, Great Plants Symposium. The Presenters came from the East Coast and the Midwest. This event was attended by 85 people and was a huge success.
• October 23, 2023: Vidosh North in Petoskey is hosting our next Meet and Greet, where we will have a Town Hall Meeting & Hardscape Technology Demos. We look forward to seeing you there.
• December 12, 2023: We will have a Meet and Greet event for the holiday season.
• January 2024 starts off with the Great Lakes Trade Expo (GLTE) in Grand Rapids, and we will be having a Meet and Greet on Wednesday January 24th. Stay tuned for more information.
• February, March & April 2024: There will be educational and networking events, so make sure to check www.NMNLA.org for details.
We look forward to hearing your ideas as to what you and your business need to help you be successful in 2024. Here are some ideas for educational learning…Know Your Costs, Estimate Jobs Accurately, Hire a Great Team, Use Quality Equipment and Tools, Eliminate Downtime, Deliver Great Customer Experiences, Think Long-Term. Take the Time to Work on Your Business.
I look forward to hearing your comments and ideas. Please reach out if you have questions or if I can be of assistance.